Healthcare REITs Exposed to this Top Independent Living Tenant

chart01Last week, we showcased Genesis Healthcare, one of the largest providers of skilled nursing (SNF) in the United States. We discussed how a single operator could have a tremendous impact on multiple healthcare REITs. Genesis is such a sizeable tenant that they influence the bottom line of Omega Healthcare, LTC Properties, and Welltower. Today we will be featuring Holiday Retirement, another operator in the healthcare segment.

With over 300 senior living communities, Holiday Retirement is one of the largest providers of independent living in the U.S. Along with New Senior Investment Group, a healthcare REIT, Holiday is under the wing of Fortress Investment Group, LLC. Fortress is a global, publicly traded investment management firm with approximately $71 billion in AUM.

In addition to New Senior, Holiday has lease agreements with Ventas (NYSE:VTR), Sabra Health Care REIT (NasdaqGS:SBRA), and National Health Investors Inc.(NYSE:NHI).

Unlike Genesis Healthcare, Holiday is not publicly traded. Due to this fact we certainly cannot paint the entire picture. That being stated, we do know that Holiday’s founder sold the company to Fortress in 2007, and is set to mature as an investment in 2017. In addition, Fortress reduced the company’s assets by fifty-percent from 2013 to 2015. As you will notice the business sold many of their properties to REITs.

Is Independent Living Dependent On Medicare/Medicaid?

According to the above-mentioned REITs, we can infer that most independent living facilities do not have the high levels of exposure to both Medicare and Medicaid. These types of properties, different from SNFs, are subject to less government regulation due to the fact that they rely on private sources. On the other hand, when being compared to SNFs, independent living facilities share the exact same level of competitiveness resulting in the potential that their rent coverage may be thin.

What Is Their Exposure?

Holiday encompasses 76% of New Senior’s net operating income. Blue Harbor, a company that is also manages senior living properties and is a part of Fortress Group, covers an additional 12%. Together, these two companies consist of over 88% of New Senior’s net operating income. Based on that reason alone, any investment in New Senior is also highly concentrated in both Fortress and its funds.

chart03

Holiday is a Ventas’ top tenant contributing 3% of net operating income. They certainly have been a contributing factor by increasing Ventas’s current footprint to 786 senior housing communities. In 2014 alone, Ventas acquired 29 senior housing communities in Canada from Holiday Retirement. This transaction is referred to as the Holiday Canada Acquisition.

chart02.png

Holiday is Sabra Health Care’s second largest tenant. In fact, 17% of Sabra’s annualized revenues have been generated directly from a master lease with Holiday. In 2014, Sabra added 21 independent living facilities from Holiday. These properties are located in fifteen states, and have lease terms of 15 years.

chart04

Holiday is a significant tenant for National Health Investors, encompassing 21% of their total rental income. In December 2013, National Health acquired 25 independent living facilities from an affiliate of Holiday. The company was able to ink a master lease term of 17 years.

chart05

Source: New Senior Investment Group In(NYSE:SNR), Ventas (NYSE:VTR), Sabra Health Care REIT (NasdaqGS:SBRA), National Health Investors Inc.(NYSE:NHI).

Disclaimer: This newsletter is not engaged in rendering tax, accounting, or other professional advice through this publication. No statement in this issue is to be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell any security or other investment. Please do your own due diligence before making any investment decision. Some information presented in this publication has been obtained from third-party sources considered to be reliable. Sources are not required to make representations as to the accuracy of the information, however, and consequently the publisher cannot guarantee accuracy.

Disclosure: The author has no positions in any shares mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s